For those of you looking to upgrade to 5.1, be aware that the very important Converter tool is not supported when targeting vCenter 5.1. When trying to direct it to a vCenter 5.1 instance you will see the following message:
Converter Standalone Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
The VMware knowledge base offers the following workarounds:
To run Converter Standalone 5.0 tasks against vSphere 5.1 environments:
- Verify that you have access to a standalone ESXi 5.0 host.
- Perform your Converter Standalone 5.0 tasks against the target ESXi 5.0 host.
- Add the ESXi 5.0 host to a vCenter Server 5.1 instance.
- To change the ESXi environment, perform one of these options:
- Upgrade the ESXi 5.0 host to version 5.1.
- Run the vSphere 5.1 Web Client to migrate your virtual machines from the ESXi 5.0 host to an ESXi 5.1 host.
- (Optional) To upgrade the hardware version of your virtual machine to version 9, use the vSphere 5.1 Web Client.Note: You can use Converter Standalone version 4.3 as long as you select Hardware Version 7 or 8 as the version type when the target is ESXi 5.1 and later on manually upgrade the hardware version using the Web Client.
Unfortunately, VMware is a month late and this is still an issue, underscoring the point I made yesterday, that VMware has missed the mark recently.