Today while attempting to deploy some Windows Server 2012 servers from a template, I noticed they did not go through the image customization as I would expect. After some searching, I came across a thread that had the answer:
Guest OS customization of Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 may not complete
- You are attempting to customize a Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 virtual machine.
- The customization process appears idle and is no longer making progress.
- The last entries logged in
Rescheduling Guest OS Customization
Executing command C:Windowssystem32schtasks.exe /create ...
- vCenter Server events for the virtual machine show that customization started but there is no indication of success or failure.
To work around this issue:
- Reboot the virtual machine manually.
- Guest OS customization now proceeds as normal and completes.